Release of WordPress 2.1 has been announced on WordPress development blog today. The latest version has been named as WordPress 2.1 El after jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald. Here are some feature listed on blog which I personally liked –
- Autosave makes sure you never lose a post again.
- The lossless XML import and export makes it easy for you to move your content between WordPress blogs.
- New search engine privacy option allows you take you to indicate your blog shouldn’t ping or be indexed by search engines like Google.
- You can set any “page” to be the front page of your site, and put the latest posts somewhere else, making it much easier to use WordPress as a content management system.
- Much more efficient database code, faster than previous versions. Domas Mituzas from MySQL went over all our queries with a fine-toothed comb.
- Links in your blogroll now support sub-categories and you can add categories on the fly.
- More AJAX to make custom fields, moderation, deletions, and more all faster.
- Pages can now be drafts, or private.
- Better internationalization and support for right-to-left languages.
- The upload manager lets you easily manage all your uploads pictures, video, and audio.
- A new version of the Akismet plugin is bundled.
And it is also reported that the next releases of WordPress will be more frequent and the next version i.e. WordPress 2.2, will be coming on April 23, 2007.